Resident Evil 3 remake is looking to be quite a reimagining of the PS1 original, so it’s no surprise that some mechanics from that game won’t be returning. Similar to last year’s Resident Evil 2 remake, Capcom is taking creative liberties with RE3 in both its source material’s story and mechanics.
One particular omission in the upcoming remake is Live Selection, a system from the original where you’re forced to decide between two choices within a limited time that would alter your approach to a dangerous situation.
During a recent interview with GameSpot, RE3 co-producer Pete Fabiano explained that the decision to remove Live Selection was to ensure a more authored experience. “So with this [remake], the director wanted to tell a consistent story with Jill, and how she and Carlos overcome Nemesis and eventually escape Raccoon City,” said Fabiano. “We just wanted to keep it cohesive, so that you’ll have a singular, more consistent narrative throughout.”
Previously, it was confirmed in an interview with Fabiano by Official PlayStation Magazine that RE3 wouldn’t have multiple endings. So it makes sense that Live Selections would also not make a return–a feature closely tied to how you earned the original’s multiple endings.
Last year’s RE2 made a similar omission. The original RE2 had what was called the Zapping System, where protagonists Leon and Claire were confronted with different storylines and puzzles depending on the order you chose to play their scenarios. Since you had the option to start the “A” scenario with either of the two protagonists and then finish their subsequent “B” scenario, there were a total of four different scenarios. However, that feature was removed and reinterpreted for its respective remake for the sake of brevity.
Resident Evil 3
- Resident Evil 3 Remake Vs. Original Gameplay Comparison
- We Played 2 Hours of Resident Evil 3 Remake | Here's What We Saw
- Resident Evil 3 Remake Is Terrifying In New Ways, And Nemesis Is To Blame
- PSA: Resident Evil 3 Pre-Orders Are Discounted At Amazon (PS4, Xbox One)
- Flash Sale Includes Pre-Order Discounts On RE3, Doom Eternal, And More (PC)
- New Resident Evil 3 Remake Trailer Shows Off The Terrifying Nemesis
- Resident Evil 3 Remake Will Be "More Action-Packed" Than 2, And Will Feature Major Changes
- Resident Evil 3 Remake – Mat Paget's Most Anticipated Game Of 2020
- Resident Evil 3 PC Pre-Orders Are 25% Off Right Now
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Adds RE3 Tie-In Achievement
For more about RE3, be sure to read our feature outlining everything we know about the game so far. And if you’re keen on grabbing a copy ahead of time, check out our pre-order guide.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Source: Read Full Article